Boys cross-country team ready for Districts

Tavarus Pennington, Reporter

By Tavarus Pennington 

Reporter

The Jaguar boy’s cross country team is working harder than ever to peak at the perfect moment.

The team’s conference championship meet Oct. 10 was a solid outing by the Jaguar boys’ team.

Coach Troy Harding believes his team has a legitimate chance at coming out of Districts really strong.

Coach Harding said, “We have a very, very good shot at Districts, we don’t have that dominant runner so if we focus on running as a team we can do well”.

The confidence for Coach Harding is shared by members of the team

Junior runner Mason Smith said, “We can make it out if we all run well.”

However, the Jaguar boys still have their work cut out for them. In their week off before Districts on October 24, the team worked on keeping their lead pack together.

Sophomore runner Zach Grover said, “We need to get 5, 6, 7 runners closer to the front of the race.”

The Jaguars want to get as many runners as they can to finish close to the top so that they get more points as a team. Keeping runners together in a pack keeps other teams out of position to take points that the Jaguars can get.

This is very important for the team to do if they want to accomplish their season long goal of going to state competition as a team.

Although the cross country team has a lot of improvements to be made with certain things concerning the race, the key to being as successful as possible seems to lie in the most important part of cross country.

“We have to focus more on during the race”, Smith said

The Jaguars are working to get these problems worked out before Districts so that they can finish high and be that much closer to completing their season long goal.

A major strong point for the Jaguars is how close the runners are off the course.

Coach Harding said, “We have a really close team.”

Coach Harding says this is good because makes the team have that much more determination and focus to get each other better.

Smith said, “The best thing about our team is how close we are personally”

This is going to be a very beneficial aspect for the Jaguars if they want to go to state as a team because it is necessary to have comradery while running because it is just you, the course, and your teammates to keep everyone motivated to keep pushing.