South athletes sign letters of intent

The South athletes who signed letters of intent on November 11 are, from left to right Skyler Robinson, Julia Woelbel, Erin Griesbauer, KJ Robinson, Tyson Cushman, Tyler McKay and Tyler Clark.

Kelsey Blanton, Reporter

By Kelsey Blanton

Reporter

Blue Springs South every year gives their students the opportunity to sign on National Signing Day.

National Signing Day, or National Letter of Intent Day, is the day high school seniors who got a college offer to play a sport can officially sign to the college they chose. They will sign the letter of intent for the college they are attending, to declare their loyalty to the school. This can be a really big event depending on the player signing and what school they are going to.

ESPN sometimes broadcasts the top recruits who will be officially deciding what college they will play at, and that is usually done by the player sitting at a table, sometimes with their family. Some athletes have hats from all the schools they got offers from, and they then pick the hat from the school that they are choosing to go to. These players are usually the ones who are nationally ranked.

Players who have already committed to a school and aren’t nationally ranked usually just put out merchandise from that school and then sign the papers on their signing day. This ends up being a lot easier and they aren’t being broadcasted.

This year South has quite a few students signing on the first official signing day of this year, which was Wednesday, November 11. November signing days are more known for basketball players, but aren’t limited to only that sport.

Tyler Clark, a senior at south, is on the baseball team and chose to continue to play in college.

“I’m attending Pitt State to be a pitcher for their baseball team, I chose this school because I really liked the atmosphere of the university and I connected well with the pitching coach,” said Clark.

This year Blue Springs South had quite a few baseball and softball players signing to play in college. Julia Woelbel, a senior at South, looks forward to attending Missouri Southern State University.

“Joplin is a pretty big town, so I just overall like the place,” Woebel said.

The next and biggest official signing day for the nation is February 3, 2016.