Jags play CBC in state title game

Donald Kelly, Entertainment Editor

By Donald Kelly

Entertainment Editor

This weekend is the battle of the undefeated teams from Missouri. It is the best of the best from the Class 6 Division football playoffs.

The Jaguars play Christian Brothers College at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis for the Class 6 football championship.

The Cadets, who won state last year, have remained undefeated throughout the whole season with a bruising brand of defense. Christian Brothers College has allowed an opposing team to score more than 14 points only twice this entire season.

Senior receiver and corner Rickey Nichols talked about CBC’s defense.

“They take pride in not letting their opponents score that much, but we aren’t like any other team they played,” he said.

If their defensive statistics amazed you, their offensive statistics will stun you. The Cadets scored at least 42 points in all but two games. They have been dominating to a certain extent; their win margin is 41.7 points per a game.

Nichols said the Jaguars have been preparing to deal with the Cadets defense.

“CBC plays man (defense) all the way across, so the coaches were trying to teach us ways that we could exploit the man defense,” he said.

The Cadets are a team that is scary good on the football field and in the stat books. They are also defending champions and have several returning seniors who are being scouted by Division I football programs.

You could say that South have gotten quite familiar with them. When South won its two state title (2006, 2011), the Jags defeated Christian Brothers College High School in both games.

Jags Coach Greg Oder analyzed the players from CBC.

“They play well as a team and that is why they are in the same position we are in, competing for a state title.”

CBC has a very good track record, but South’s is just as good. The Jaguars are unbeaten like CBC. South has an average margin of victory of more than 23 points, and South also has athletes being scouted by Division I programs.   The Jags are 13-0 overall, including 3-0 in district, ranked number 2 in the state and ranked 62 nationally, according to Max Preps.

Junior slot receiver and corner Jerome Hawkins said the Jaguars are confident

“We just need to execute our game plan, then we can win that championship,” he said.