Students saddened as Cookie Friday ends

Retiring teacher Jill Rogers. Photo by Laytin Plotner

Jackson Bassford, News Editor

Jackson Bassford

News Editor

One of South’s beloved traditions is coming to an end this year.

“Cookie Friday” is a day where FACS teacher Jill Rogers would have her advanced culinary classes bake and sell chocolate chip cookies 3 for 1 dollar, with the money going towards supplies and other needs for her classes. It was a staple of every Friday, with lines going out the door and people leaving every class to go get some of her cookies. Ms. Rogers is retiring after teaching several culinary skills, nutrition and wellness, and world foods classes for over 20 years.

Rogers explained why she is ending the tradition and what she will miss the most about selling cookies on Friday.

“I’m retiring and they’re changing the culinary program. But what I’m really going to miss about Cookie Friday is the students. I love talking to them and being able to put a smile on their faces when they walk in. I’m very happy I was given the opportunity to teach at this school and I will miss it and all the memories I’ve made dearly. There are so many people that I’m going miss, but I’m excited to see what’s in store for me next,” Rogers said.

Junior Rebecca Ladd explained how she felt about Cookie Friday ending and the impact that Rogers had on her.

“I loved getting cookies from her class on Fridays and catching up with her while waiting in line. She was one of my favorite teachers and she had a profound impact on me. She was truly one of the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet,” Ladd said.

Senior Valerie Brownfield also talked about how she’s going to miss the tradition.

“I’m so sad. Those cookies are really good and I’m going to miss these in the next few weeks,” Brownfield said.

The cookies will be sorely missed by students at South.