Girls swim with confidence heading into conference

Alexandria Bradley competes in a home swim meet. Photo by Autumn Campbell.

Lauren Collins, Managing Editor

The girls swim and dive team has been working hard so far this season. There are now many state qualifiers. Individual qualifiers are Junior McKenzie MacLean (200 and 500 free),  Senior Kadie Clark (50 free),  Senior Raegan Hecker (50 free), Junior Kirsten Markley (100 fly).  Coach Errich Oberlander says other athletes  are close and he anticipates they could get their state cust at the varsity conference meet next weekend. The relays qualified for state are the 200 Free Relay and 400 Free Relay. The three divers qualified for state are Junior Bailey Carter, Junior Delaney Jackson, and Senior Olivia Schaffer.

Markley explains how she has been preparing for state.

“I wake up at 4 a.m. every morning and work hard. Every day I try to improve my times to get ready for the tough competition at State,” Markley said.

Oberlander says the team has been working hard.

“The last two weeks have been our most intense and grueling practices as we get ready for both conference and state,” Oberlander said.

Markley has high expectations for State.

“I really hope the team makes it into the top 20. Last year we came 30th, and I’m sure we can place higher this year especially with all of the strong returners and new freshmen who all work hard,” Markley said.

Oberlander says State is a hard meet to predict.

“There are some great teams around Missouri, and my biggest goal every year is to get as many girls competing on Saturday as possible,” Oberlander said.

The season is going strong. So far the team is undefeated in dual meets. The team also finished a “very strong 6th out of 58 teams,” as Oberlander puts it.