The student media site of Blue Springs South High School

JagNewsOnline.com

• June 7Soph. Registration - Aug. 3rd

• January 24Senior Registration - Aug. 1st

• January 24Junior Registration - Aug. 2nd

Learning lounge installed in PAC

The learning lounge outside the PAC is expected to be fully completed by the beginning of next school year. Photo by Charly Buchanan.

Liberty Smith, Reporter

Some around South may have noticed that a lounge area has been added recently just outside the PAC that features many comfortable seating options.

This is phase one of a four-step plan to eventually turn the area into a fully functional coffeehouse and flexible learning space for the students and staff at South. Associate Principal Doug Mattson had the scoop on the plans for the new project.

“It’s essentially an alternate learning space for teachers. It has Wi-Fi capability and in the near future we hope to have computer monitor screens to serve as an informational broadcast outlet,” Mattson said.

Phase two encompasses the technological advances in the lounge such as the monitors and charging stations for phones and laptops. Phase three is said to occur over the summer with an installation of a wireless projector that will be used for presentations and professional development days.

“This is going to be a great place not only for students to hang out and interact, but a place that will give teachers an area outside the classroom for lessons,” Mattson said.

Phase four is partnering with coffee shops in the area in order to make and sell the coffee at the future coffee bar that may be ready for business this August.

“We have a lot of kids at South that come in early with coffee anyways. This way, they can just get it here, and it also allows us to involve many different groups of kids. The art and graphic design kids can make posters. The entrepreneur studies classes can make up business plans, the marketing classes can help out with asking for coffee donations in exchange for business advertising during sporting events,” Mattson said.

The end goal of the whole process would be to get to a place where teachers could put in a Google Docs order that the kids working in the coffeehouse could then cart down to that teacher’s room in the morning. There is still much work to be done, but South can expect to see progress over the coming months.

• Editorials

Recent racist events turn the scope on Blue Springs

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

South chooses Jags of the Year

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

Four South Staff members are set to retire

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

ROTC wraps up most successful season yet

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

Stotts awarded Teacher of the Year

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

“My Fair Lady” cast hard at work

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

South grads come back to teach

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

Tori Findley honored with Runner of the Year

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

Touch of Silver competes at Liberty

• Learning lounge installed in PAC

Showcase

Swimmers earn All-State and All-American honors

Learning lounge installed in PAC