Welch comes back to South

Welch comes back to South

By Karly Bonsasa

Design Editor

Devin Welch, a new teacher at South, is already very busy with work. 

Welch went to our very school, Blue Springs South. He was in the marching band, where he played the French horn and mellophone. After graduating from South in 2015, Welch went to Longview for two years where he got his AA degree and went to UCM where he got a bachelor’s degree in education social sciences and a minor in history.  While he was in college, he took some special education classes, and he really enjoyed the time he spent working with the special ed kids. 

Knowing how much he loved South and the administration, when he realized there was an open spot for the two things he loved, teaching special ed and being here at South, he took the opportunity. 

Originally, Welch had been a sub at South. Following that, he became a para-professional here two to three months before the pandemic, then eventually was hired this year as a special ed teacher for social studies. 

Welch’s daily schedule can get very hectic. He starts his day off during first hour up in his room then for second hour he goes down to the freshman wing in Casey Enright’s room, third hour is his plan hour where he typically ends up running around trying to help kids. Fourth hour he goes back down to the freshman wing, then 5th hour he goes back upstairs, and lastly for 6 &7 hour he is back down in the freshman wing in Mr. Smiths room. 

Regardless of his busy days, Welch is still very happy about what he does.

“I love working with the kids, seeing their smiles every day when they get something. It’s kind of hard now, you can tell when they get something and they’re excited, that makes me happy, and I enjoy that.” 

Welch still encounters hardships where he doesn’t know how to help his students but always finds a way to get through it so his student can succeed. His main goal is for his students to an acquire a life skill. As long as they can get that then his goal has been achieved.