Haines takes administrative role

Courtney Haines moved from science teacher to administration this year.

By Olivia Svoboda

Copy Editor

Courtney Haines has moved into administration after teaching science at Blue Springs South for three years.

“As an assistant principal I have a more bird’s eye view. As a teacher I just know what’s going on in my classroom, whereas in this job I know what’s going on in the whole building, which is very cool,” Haines said.

Haines grew up in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and went to the University of Nebraska Omaha for her bachelor’s and master’s degrees. After moving to Oregon and staying there for four years, Haines came to Missouri to be closer to her family.

“I love being outdoors. I love hiking, the mountains, and the ocean. It had all those things, so I went out to Oregon,” she said.

As assistant principal, Haines has a lot on her plate. She oversees students with last names that start with A-Cl, along with overseeing the CTC and dual credit classes. She also does AP testing.

“I’m in charge of the first part of the alphabet but that doesn’t mean I don’t see students that are not in my alphabet. When I talk to students out in the hallway, I always tell them, ‘Hey, you can come see me, even though I’m not your assistant principal, you can definitely come and see me.’”

Haines is eager to experience South from her new position in administration.

“I get to see more kids than just what I had in my classroom, and so it’s just nice to see things from the building perspective and to just be able to help all students and all teachers. I’m getting to know kids that I never had before as a teacher and probably would never have had if I still would be teaching, so that’s really cool,” Haines said.

Haines is excited to see what the new year will bring.

“Having that feeling again of just being back together in this building, celebrating South, celebrating our accomplishments, there’s just nothing better than that,” she said.