South media keeps students informed

South students film segments of Jag TV in this room. Jag TV is one of three student-media programs covering students and activities at Blue Springs South. Photo by Caeden Smithpeter.

Mahlyk Davis, Sports Editor

For years, South has prided itself on having stellar media outlets. From The Jag to Jag TV and Predator, if there is media to be covered, you can bet it will be.

Predator, the yearbook, is a year-long project. It is less news related and more about highlighting all of the awesome things that go on at South. All of the yearbook students seem to love the program and give a lot of the credit to their instructor, Danny Mathis. After graduating from South, Mathis studied journalism at the University of Missouri before starting his teaching career last year. He believes the yearbook is a key component of high school.

“Unlike the newspaper and Jag TV, other phenomenal outlets, we produce one book every year. So, at the end of the year you have this sort of celebration that the year is coming to a close and you also get this hard covered book that you can flip through and be reminded of all the great memories you’ve made. So unlike the week-to-week and month-to-month schedule of the Newspaper and Jag TV, the Yearbook sort of chronicles everything that has happened, and it’s more permanent,” Mathis said.

Within the three media outlets at South, tight-knit groups can be found. They work on everything together and seem to be similar to a family. Senior Megan Via believes being a part of a media outlet helps you build stronger friendships.

“The students in yearbook have become

some of my best friends. We spend time  together every day and get to mix our ideas to come up with the best finished product. Yearbook will definitely be one of my favorite memories going forward, and I would recommend it for anyone who is looking to become more involved in school,” Via said.

South’s most visible media outlet is Jag TV. They produce one episode per week and tend to focus on the great things going on around South that may be overlooked in the grand scheme of things. Pete Grigsby, the executive producer for Jag TV, thinks the program has helped unify South.

“Seven years ago, Jag TV was nothing more than a pleasant thought. The program started six years ago and hasn’t looked back since. We do our best in covering the unsung heroes here at South such as JROTC, Debate and Forensics, Color Guard and Band. The students who participate in those activities work their tails off and deserve all the recognition they can get,” Grigsby said.

Jag TV has helped a number of students get a head start on their careers in digital media. Senior Blake Isaacson is involved in Jag TV and takes classes at Summit Technical Academy in pursuit of a career in the aforementioned field. He believes digital media is the most effective way to get news to the public.

“I think what we’re doing with Jag TV is groundbreaking. Our coverage can be found world wide simply by going to our website. We air a new episode every week and our content is always fresh and interesting. I would recommend this program for anyone interested in broadcasting of any sort, especially news,” Isaacson said.