First boy cheerleader in 20 years

Sophomore Micah Currie performs at Southern Exposure. Photo by Alyssa Meyer.

Sophomore Micah Currie is now the first boy to make Blue Springs South’s varsity cheerleading team in over two decades. To be considered a “coed team”, South has to have at least two boys on the team. Now with one boy on the team, other boys may be more interested in trying out in the future so eventually South’s cheer team may be coed.

Currie transferred here from Emporia High School in March of 2017.

Currie has had no experience cheerleading but he has done gymnastics.

“I had to practice every night during the week of tryouts and it took a lot of work but it paid off. When I found out I made it, I was very shocked and I was just extremely proud of my accomplishment because I didnt think I would really get this far considering the fact that there hasn’t been a boy cheerleader in so long and I wasn’t sure if it was something the coaches wanted or not,” said Currie.

Currie has made a lot of friends on the team, so it already made sense to try out. One of his fellow cheerleading teammates, Junior cheerleader Claire Bliss is really looking forward to the new addition to the team.

“I think our team needs a lot more diversity and Micah is the very first step. He will add strength to our lifts and make our cheers sound louder. I was also very impressed when I saw how good his tumbling is and how hard he works during practice. I’m so excited to get to know him more, ” said Bliss.

Currie has always been interested in cheerleading but has been too nervous to tryout but this year some of his new friends from South encouraged him to tryout.

“I can’t wait to create a bond with all of my other teammates and have the chance to become more involved here at South.”

Currie is very glad he made the decision.

“I’m so excited to be out on the football field and the basketball court doing what I love. I’m so happy that I get to make cheerleading a part of my high school experience here,” said Currie.

Junior cheerleader Cambree Frerking also had a lot to say.

“I am so excited for a boy to be on my school team because I already cheer with boys on my competetive team and it just makes it that more fun. Micah is so friendly and hardworking, I think he will be a good asset to our team. He has grown in the past few weeks I’ve seen him cheer and I am very excited to see him grow even more throughout the school year,” said Frerking.