Football gets on track before playoffs

Football gets on track before playoffs

Colton Robertson, Editor-in-Chief

Blue Springs South football finished the regular season with more losses than wins, but the playoffs are approaching and the team has high hopes.

Following the first four weeks of the season, all resulting in losses, the Jags went on a three-game win streak in which they shelled opponents, outscoring Olathe North, Ray-Pec, and Lee’s Summit by a combined score of 148 to 44.

Senior DJ Frost feels as though the team has made it over the hump, and has finally come together as a unit.

“We’re better adjusted now, just starting off with a whole new offense and whole new defense at the beginning of the season,” Frost said, “We’ve learned each other’s tendencies and doing better in that aspect so I think that’s definitely helped us out.”

That’s a positive that the entire team has fed off of, being a unit. The team has finally come together and figured each other out.

Senior Michael Muehlberger knows that the team growing closer together has been the most important part of their recent success.

“The last few games, we’ve just kind of bared down. Our offense and defense are both doing well, which is something that we couldn’t get right in the first few weeks. It’s been a long process, but we’re finally working together the way I knew we could,” Muehlberger said.

Inconsistency has burdened the Jags week to week. Head coach Jon Oyler provided some depth for those inconsistencies.

“I think we still need to tie all three pieces together, one week our offense and special teams work, and our defense doesn’t, or defense and special teams work, and our offense doesn’t. We just need to get all three pieces working together,” Oyler said.

One thing above all has stood out to Oyler, the effort the team puts forth. Oyler believes that this has been the strongest point of the season thus far, and knows that there is always room for improvement.

“I think our effort has been good every single week, but we need to keep working every day if we want to get where we want to be, those three wins were a good reward for the effort we put in, but they don’t feel nearly as good, as losses feel bad,” Oyler said.

Muehlberger attributed a big part of the season to some of that effort Oyler spoke about.

“A large part of our success has been growing together,” Muehlberger said, “We come out and work together, and the work is starting to pay off, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”

In their last five games the team is 3-2. The Jags are now heading to the playoffs and Oyler approaches this challenge with confidence.

“We’ve started in the right direction, now we just have to finish strong,” Oyler said.

Muehlberger reflects his coach’s confidence.

“We’re sitting at 3-6 right now, which isn’t where we thought we’d be, but there’s no doubt in my mind that we can make a big run in these playoffs,” Muehlberger said.

Blue Springs South travels to Francis Howell High School in the first round of the playoffs at 7 tonight.