Band makes school history again

Tenor saxophones perform at a home football game. Photo by Delaney Jackson

Band makes school history again

Delaney Jackson, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

On October 21, 2017 the Jaguar Pride Marching Band made school history, becoming the first band to make finals at a Bands of America Super Regional.

Last year, the band attended their first BOA Super Regional in St. Louis, but they fell just short of making finals. Senior Lauren Collins says that made this year’s placement all the more sweet.

“Last year was very disappointing, because we were so close. I’m so happy that we managed to make finals this year, and bounce back from last year’s setback. It’s kind of cool, because our freshmen year we were the first ones from South to make finals at a BOA, and now as seniors we were the first ones to make finals at a BOA Super Regional,” Collins said.

The band practiced long hours this summer to get ready for the event. Band director Ken Hansen talks about how the preparation was.

“We prepared for the event like any other event with the exception that we knew the competition was going to be very challenging. Since we knew it was going to be so challenging I think the students probably focused a little harder the week leading up to Indianapolis,” Hansen said.

The band had many unusual setbacks this season, with many injuries where people couldn’t march. However, they didn’t let that stop them from achieving their goals for this season. Senior Jerry Hill says they pushed through the obstacles to become an even better band.

“A few of us were injured towards the end of the season, myself included, and couldn’t march so there were holes in the show. Holes in the show are spots where you can tell someone was supposed to march and they didn’t, so they’re bad,” Hill said. “Luckily, we found some people that were willing to march and fill in the holes, and those of us that were injured just stood and played in the front so we were still involved.”

The band left for the competition Wednesday night, and stayed in Indiana for two days. Collins says that the memories made on the trip will stay with her forever.

“The experience was super fun, and I got to spend it with my best friends. Breaking school history, spending time in Indiana with my best friends, and getting to do what I love is something I’ll remember forever,” Collins said. “I know I’ll look back on this in 10 years and I won’t remember what place we got, but I’ll remember what it felt like to be doing what I love with the people I love.”

At BOA Super Regionals, they have a preliminary competition, and the top bands score wise in prelims advance on to finals. They announce the finalist bands in random order, so the anticipation is intense. Hansen discusses what hearing their name called felt like.

“The most enjoyable part may have been hearing “3rd place… Blue Springs South.” That was a huge accomplishment for the program and a very memorable time. But hearing that we made finals was just as special,” Hansen said.

The band has been improving year after year to reach the level of excellence they aspire to. Each year they have hit a new milestone, and this year wasn’t any different. Hansen recognizes this.

“The students are achieving at a national level in the marching arena. We are so proud of how hard they work each and every day. We have very special students here at South,” Hansen said.