FFA helps students get into agriculture

FFA helps students get into agriculture

Colton Robertson, Editor-in-Chief

FFA is grooming numerous students for their future occupations.

Formerly known as Future Farmers of America, the group moved away from the name due to the fact that the name ‘farmers’ doesn’t apply to everybody.

Senior Maggie Penniston enjoys the hands-on experience that is provided, as FFA is home to rabbits and chickens to work with.

“Most of the people want to be vets and have never previously gotten hands on experience. It’s nice to have a step ahead in the more agricultural side of veterinary medicine,” Penniston said.

The group also gets to take trips together, and has grown as a group. Junior Claire Winn has enjoyed the people FFA has brought into her life.

“It has brought a whole new group of friends into my life. All my closest friends are in FFA with me,” Winn said, “It’s great to go on the trips together, we usually take two a year.”

In the last three years, FFA has taken trips including Louisville, Indianapolis, and Columbia, Missouri. Winn’s favorite part of FFA is the trips.

“The trips are the best because our teachers become really fun and everyone loves being together,” Winn said.

The students in FFA also show great appreciation for their sponsor, Craig Zwahlen. Junior Drake Wood gave Zwahlen love for being there for the group.

“None of this would be possible without our teacher Mr. Zwahlen. He motivates each and every one of his students and has taught us life lessons that all of his students will use,” Wood said.

The students also learned about zoology. Penniston described working and learning about zoos.

“Individual workers get their own projects that they work on,” Penniston said, “Some also get to travel the world saving endangered species and that’s something I feel I would have a lot of fun doing.”

They also learned about the numerous breeding programs provided at zoos.

“It was really interesting and I’m so happy I got to be a part of it with FFA,” Penniston said.