Wrestling sets sights for State

Senior Noah Leonard wrestles a Lee’s Summit opponent during a recent home match. Photo by Serenity Bogue

Wrestling sets sights for State

Mahquiya Davis, Reporter

This year the wrestling team has high expectations for themselves. This year’s team is younger and will need to play up to be competitive at the varsity level.

Head wrestling coach Doug Black said he was excited to work with the younger wrestlers. 

“I’m excited to work with the younger people and help them become young mature men,” Black said.

The coaches aren’t the only ones who are excited about the season. Junior Nate Walker said that he was excited for multiple reasons.

“I’m excited about the season because it’s my first year wrestling and I’m ready to hopefully put in the work so I can win some matches and ultimately win a state championship at the end of the year,” Walker said.

Walker also said that his teammates have helped pushed him to succeed.

“They pushed me harder every day and I feel like I keep improving because of them and the coaches pushing me hard,” Walker said.

When asked who has impressed him the most Black said that sophomore Jastin Robertson has worked hard every day to improve

When speaking to coach Black about the team’s expectations this year he made it clear that he wants the students to grow into responsible men.

“Obviously our goal is to win a state championship but we also want to help these kids grow up into men and mature into something special,” Black said.

Nate Walker also said that wrestling is making him more responsible for his actions

“Wrestling is helping me become more responsible for myself, “ Walker said.

This year’s team is out to win matches and is showing strong work ethic. Their hard work is exciting and impressing their coaches who look to help them not only win but grow into respectful, responsible young men. The next meet is tonight at Raytown South High School.