Mental and physical health are critical

Jasmin Jenkins, Reporter

Mental health is a person’s condition regarding their psychological and emotional well-being. Being teens, we are not always taught the ways of how to cope with things or how to manage our mental health. Some students need to be taught things that could help us when we are in high school or moving on to adulthood.

Physical health is where you get the proper nutrition and exercise. Throughout our childhood, we’ve been going to school and taking physical education class. It’s something schools must provide to all students. While this is a good way to teach kids early about the food pyramid and everyday exercises in some cases it’s often forgotten about later down the road.

In a recent study, researchers found that your mental health is affected by your physical health. If you ever feel sluggish and tired often you tend to get lazy and complain more or feel sad that could be due to your health not up to part.

Schools should allow both classes for students along with some other ones. The classes should have a semester where you learn about ways to help with your mental health then transition to physical health and how to keep your body happy. It’s very important to have both classes in a student’s life.

Moving on to adulthood could be a big adjustment and some of us could have mental breakdowns or forget about healthy patterns. These classes could make a huge difference. Instead of being anxious and scared of going to college, I can basically control my mind and just think positive thoughts to get me through a tough time.

Physical health could help students want to stay active if they know their mental health can be affected. This is simply because your body feeds off nutrients and your daily active take of energy. If you are sitting down and eating a bunch of junk food, you aren’t going to be as excited to move around. Let’s say you’ve been eating the proper diet and outside walking you’re getting extra energy and you won’t have a problem moving as much.

The importance of mental health and physical health feed off each other. Neither one is more important than the other, because they both are needed in our everyday lives.