South track team is not only runners

Delaney Jackson, Assistant Editor-In-Chief

This year’s girls track and field team is home to some of the best throwers in the state.

The girls have been working hard after school to get prepared for th year’s season.

Senior Corinne Cleveland says the beginning of the season has gone well.

“We are working in the weight room more frequently this season and also working on techniques for the throws. The first week has gone well and we have had new people come to practice every day” Cleveland said.

Many new girls decided to come out for throwing this year, and many have found big success in the sport. One of those is senior Kelsey Blanton.

“I threw in 8th grade and then I haven’t thrown since then. I wanted to do a sport senior year so I decided I would come out and just see how it went,” Blanton said.

Since Blanton joined the team, she has become a varsity discus thrower along with Cleveland, who is varsity for both discus and shot put. Sophomore Nasi Gapelu is also varsity shot put, and junior Gabby Fournier is varsity for javelin.

“It’s fun because we all have our speciality, and we all support each other in our different events,” Fournier said.

Blanton had ankle surgery in the off season, and couldn’t walk for some time. Through rehab and hard work, she got back to being able to be where she wants to be.

I was excited to see my hard work pay off. Obviously surgery is tough, but I got through it and I’m happy that I get to do a sport my senior year,”  Blanton said.

Cleveland is looking forward having more throwers than in previous years.

“I’m really excited for this season, we have a lot of new athletes that show a lot of potential and returning athletes, not just for the throwers but for the whole team. I can’t wait for what the rest of the season holds for us,” Cleveland said.