JagNewsOnline.com

• June 7Soph. Registration - Aug. 3rd

• January 24Senior Registration - Aug. 1st

• January 24Junior Registration - Aug. 2nd

Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

South School Resource Officer Jon Mitchell knew when he was 18 that he wanted to be a law enforcement officer. Photo by Jasmin Jenkins

What made you decide to get into the force?

A: It wasn’t until I was about 18 that I decided that being a law enforcement officer would be a fun career. It’s just really the fact that I don’t want to be stuck in a cubicle. This job allows freedom of mobility you can say. Our office is a patrol car and so we’re out in the community seeing a lot. Being an SRO is a little bit different but it’s not like I’m still trapped inside an office. I can run around inside and out, interact with people on a regular basis. It’s very rewarding

What’s family life like? 

Busy. Between off duty jobs and sports, stuff like that it’s very hectic. Usually when I get home I have about 30 minutes before my son, who’s in middle school comes home 45 mins before my daughter shows up. So that gives me roughly an hour and fifteen minutes down time for the day. As soon as I get my daughter off the bus, it’s time to start prepping for dinner. Once dinner is prepped, we start cooking we’re generally eating dinner by 5:15 or 5:30 in the evening then it’s off to martial arts or the gym, depending on what day of the week it is. That also depends on going to the shooting range to practice. Weekends are off duty jobs. There are days were I’m in uniform for 26 hours.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I get free time? In my free time some of the things that I do truly enjoy doing is reading. I do enjoy shooting quite a bit. It keeps me proficient. It’s also very relaxing, you must clear your mind to focus. I also enjoy weightlifting, and to run. I’m getting back into running. Unfortunately, during the summer, I slipped off my workout schedule. Fortunately, school is back in session, so I can get back into it. Those are just some of the few things I enjoy doing besides, the obvious spending time with my family.

What’s some advice you have for teens wanting to go into law enforcement?

Get your college degree in something other than criminal justice. Everybody has a degree in criminal justice. Just find something else. Whether it’s journalism, teaching, accounting, psychology, history, anything but criminal justice. Especially if you’re wanting to go into the federal side. They want people with degrees other than criminal justice. If you have a criminal justice degree, they won’t accept you until you have at least five years of experience being a patrol officer.

Interview by Jasmin Jenkins

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Showcase

Get To Know: Dwila Funk

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Showcase

Students donate to food drive for Community Unity Week

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Entertainment

Video game and anime club draws a crowd

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Showcase

Football player, Student Senate president named August students of the month

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Showcase

Air Force JROTC cadets recognized at decoration ceremony

• Showcase

Taylor Swift concert at Arrowhead does not disappoint

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Showcase

ROTC cadets march to memorialize Bataan death march

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Showcase

Associate principal heads to the Freshman Center

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Features

Jaguar Pride performs in Washington D.C.

• Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell

Features

Bond measure set to be put to vote in August

The student media site of Blue Springs South High School
Getting to Know: Officer Jon Mitchell