South students earn FFA degree

Hannah Smith

Reporter

Recently at South, seniors Spencer Ginther, Madison Phelps, Alexis Foose Martinez and Benjamin Strout earned their Missouri FFA Degree. This award is for students who complete the application and participate in many leadership events, at the local, district, state, and national levels.

“These students have to be involved in FFA for at least two years, they have to do components of writing, and talk about their SAE, which is their supervised agricultural experience. For example, some of my students own their own animals, work or train horses at horse stables, work at Hy-Vee in the meat department and stuff like that. The student must invest over 1,000 dollars in their SAE, as well as minimum 200 points on their leadership,” said FFA teacher Craig Zwahlen.

Seniors Spencer Ginther and Madison Phelps are very proud of this accomplishment.

“It means a lot because we’ve been working on it the past three years. Ever since freshman year we have been tracking our finances, going to different events so we can get points, it’s really cool to see all of our hard work get turned into recognition,” said Ginther.

‘We helped out with Bowls for Souls, we helped glaze bowls and then we will do community service once a month, and we do Ag on the Move which is tutoring,” said Phelps.