Former student teacher becomes a full-time teacher at South

Michael Meyers

Michael Meyers

By Connor Latlip 

The Jag

Entering the new school year, there are new teachers at Blue Springs South and one of them is the history teacher, Michael Meyers. 

Meyers grew up in Greenwood, Missouri, and he went to Truman State University for his undergraduate and his graduate.  

He was a student teacher last year for Eric Sapp, who is now retired, and Mr. Miller.

“It was just all-around a good time. All the history teachers that I’ve met, all the students I’ve interacted with, it was pretty awesome, and I decided that I wanted to work here,” Meyers said.

What inspired Meyers to become a teacher was the good teachers that he had throughout his career as a student, teachers who went the extra mile, making a personal connection and cared about his progression as a student.  

“I wanted to make a difference in other students’ lives, like those teachers who made a difference in mine,” he said.  

What Meyers likes most about teaching is the interactions that he has with the students every day.   

“I don’t think anything is better than making a personal connection with several students and being happy seeing them every day,” he said  

The thing that Meyers is most excited about this school year is that he gets to teach more modern history because it’s more relevant to today.  

Outside of school, Meyers likes to spend his time with friends, family and his girlfriend. He has two pets, a cat named Bagel, and a dog named Beau. His hobbies are traveling, hiking, playing video games, and reading.  

Meyers, amongst a new trio of history teachers, wants to make a connection with his students, meaning he could be a new favorite on the list of some of his students.   

“I want to get to know my students more,” he said.