Veteran teacher starts anew at South

Natalie Turnbow

Natalie Turnbow

By Olivia Svoboda

Editor-in-Chief

Natalie Turnbow is a new teacher at South, but she’s not new to teaching. 

“This is my 24th year in education, and [Blue Springs South] seems to be a really good fit for me. I love the staff, everybody has been really, really helpful. The building is beautiful, and the students have been great learners and great to have in the classroom,” Turnbow said. 

She teaches Biology I, Principles of Biomedical Sciences, and Biomedical Innovation (Science Research). 

Turnbow attended William Chrisman High School in Independence. She also has multiple college degrees: a Bachelor’s in elementary education from William Jewell College, a Master’s in curriculum and instruction from Graceland University, and a Specialist’s in administration from William Woods University. 

Turnbow originally wanted to be an elementary school teacher. 

“I started out teaching fifth grade, and then I moved up to middle school from there, and then I got certified to teach biology nine through twelve,” she said. 

She ultimately decided that she preferred working with older students, though. 

“I moved up to teach sixth grade, and it was just one grade different, and I was able to teach the same thing all day, which was science, which I love. That’s what kind of started it, and then from there, I just kept moving up with the students and moving up with grade levels,” she said. 

Turnbow may love science now, but she disliked it in high school. 

“I don’t know if I just took the wrong classes, or if I didn’t particularly like what we did in the classes, or the teachers. When I started teaching it is when I really started loving it and understanding what was so great about it,” she said. 

Though the grades and subjects Turnbow has taught have changed over the years, her reason for teaching has not. 

“I had a lot of really amazing teachers that made a big impact on me, and it was just something that always stuck with me. I thought I really wanted to do something like that – to be able to make those connections with kids and have really fun activities and lessons for kids to do and make learning fun,” she said. 

Before coming to South, Turnbow taught at Paul Kinder Middle School. She wanted to start teaching at South because her kids will come through the school for their education. 

“I just thought it would be really nice to go ahead and become a Jaguar,” she said. 

Turnbow has two kids; a nine-year old at Chapel Lakes and a four-year old in Pre-K. 

“We like to do fun stuff with the kids, take them fun places, and pretty much that takes up most of my time – just hanging out with my kids and my husband,” she said. 

She’s ready to get accustomed to South and teaching biomed. 

“I’m most looking forward to just getting that newness behind me, so that I can really start digging in and understanding, because right now, I’m just trying to keep up, because everything’s so new. I’m looking forward to just getting through that new stage, and then feeling a little more comfortable in not only the building, but also in what I teach,” Turnbow said.