Jaguar debater achieves huge milestone

Senior Allison Cooper holds two debate trophies. She reached 150 wins earlier this year. Photo submitted

By Olivia Svoboda

Editor-in-Chief

After four years of dedication to South debate, senior Allison Cooper has achieved her 150th win in the activity. 

“I started [debate] because I want to be a lawyer, so I thought it’d be a good way to start public speaking and learning about it, and then I ended up liking it better than I expected, so I kept doing it,” Cooper said. 

She was inspired to join because of her father, who debated in high school and college. A friend also recommended it to her. 

To achieve 150 wins, a debater must be diligent and active in all four years of their high school career. The Missouri State High School Activities Associations limits the number of regular season tournaments a student can participate in to 10. State and national qualifying district tournaments then come after the season. In a tournament, a student can participate in four to seven debates, depending on how well they do in the early rounds. 

Marc Baney, South’s debate coach, had to make sure Cooper could find the time to attend tournaments. 

“I work with her a lot in practice. I’ve encouraged her to go to as many competitions as possible. I’ve worked with her and her busy schedule to try to create opportunities for her to be able to go to a lot of different competitions and to be competitive on the national level, and I try to push her to be able to achieve the bar that I know that she sets for herself,” Baney said. 

Cooper primarily competes in Lincoln-Douglas debate, which is a one-on-one style of debate. She has competed in other styles as well, though. 

Preparing for a debate is a long process that includes intense research. Cooper’s favorite part of the process is the argument itself and clashing with her opponents. 

“It’s really fun to see different sides of things [and] learn more about something in a way that I enjoy,” Cooper said. 

Debate covers a variety of issues. Currently, Cooper is debating about open borders and immigration, which is a topic she enjoys. 

Baney recognizes what makes Cooper especially great at debate. 

“She walks away from every debate focused on how she can learn from that debate. She definitely has an attitude that’s conducive to her always growing, so whether she wins or loses, she’s always in a place of growing and learning,” Baney said. 

One of Cooper’s favorite debate memories is from a tournament she attended in June of last year in Louisville, Kentucky. She placed fifth in the nation. 

“Two of my best friends also did debate, and it was really fun to be able to spend a week with them doing something that we all enjoy, but also hanging out together with the rest of our team,” Cooper said. 

While Cooper often debates alone, she’s still able to focus on her team, according to Baney. 

“She cares a lot about the activity; she cares a lot about her peers in the activity, and the culture and the climate of the activity. She has a lot of respect for her opponents and a lot of respect for her teammates,” Baney said. 

Cooper plans on carrying her experiences from high school debate into college. 

“I’ve applied to a lot of schools, but I’d say my top choice is Rice University or Wake Forest University, and I probably want to be a wrongful convictions attorney eventually after I finish law school,” she said.