Starting a new chapter overseas

Jordan Martin will be studying in Australia next year. Photo by Erica Green

By Honesty Gant

Features Editor

As exciting as middle school, high school, and the strict authority of our parents is, it is now the class of 2015’s turn to begin a new chapter, and that chapter is life after high school. For many of us that chapter begins as soon as we graduate and head off to college. For others they’re merely just taking a break to contemplate what they want to do with the rest of their lives. Whatever the case may be, leaving home is a scary thought.

For many students who are going off to college, some of them took the time to ensure there was a safe amount of distance between them and their parents being able to “pop-up” on them. Though they’re ready for a new sense of freedom, they still can’t help but be a little scared of what’s to come.

Senior Jordan Martin, will be attending DTS (Discipleship Training School) through Y.W.A.M (Youth with a Mission) in Perth, Australia, for 6 months. Then, he will be going to Sydney Australia for 3-4 years to attend Hillsong University. When asked, he described what he is excited and scared about. “Heading off to college, especially in Australia. It’s in a foreign country, but I’m excited to see new things, especially a new culture and to definitely experience a new stage of life,” Martin said.

Even though there are anticipations, hopes for adventures, and people rushing the transition part of their life, there still are a lot of things that can and will be missed before we leave home.

“I will miss this crazy family that we have formed. Even though we are crazy and dysfunctional at times we all have grown to love each other in some aspect and I’m really going to miss these people,” Martin said.

Martin, whose dream was always to travel the world and study in a foreign country, feels like Australia was the perfect pick.

“Hillsong is one of the best vocational colleges in the world. Marin said “They are so innovative, and their love for God is amazing.”

Even with the overwhelming amount of culture, diversity, and being amongst others who have the same passion as himself, Martin is still afraid of what’s ahead and sad about the things he will be leaving behind.

“It’s very nerve wracking being away from those I love for so long. I am very close to my family and being literally across the world is going to be hard.  I love the sense of community we have built as a student body, especially being a beautiful suburb right outside of Kansas City we tend to take for granted, and I’m really going to miss the springs. The fact that I can’t just get in my car and drive home, to get in my bed when things get crazy is really crazy. I could take a plane ride home but its 14 hours long and costs $2,000.00. Being out there for good is going to be a challenging aspect of leaving,” Martin said.

As we all transition from adolescence to adults, our parents get older and more apprehensive about the decision we make, Martin’s mother was one of many parents who’s hesitant to have their child go to school in a foreign country.

“At first they [parents] were very apprehensive. My mother, of course, did not want me to leave because she is my mother. But as we have started fundraising and getting the idea locked in a peace has settled into her heart. I could not be more thankful. She trusts that the Lord will take care of me and that whatever I’m doing he will watch over me,” Martin said.

Martin, who was involved in the CTC program noticed a couple of things that South administration could do to better prepare students for life after high school.

“I wish someway there would be more character development and work ethic skills taught. Luckily, being in CTC my culinary instructor Chef Burgess comes straight from industry to teach. What she teaches us is how to interact with others in the workforce, and how to excel in everything we do. Sometimes we as students need a push in uncomfortable places, because we learn best in the struggle of experiences.”

But the remaining advice Martin wants to leave the future graduating classes is: “Live your life for yourself, and not to impress others. Remember that after high school will you be happy looking back and realizing you were trying to make others happy? Or that you had a blast living life and experiencing everything that came your way?”