South changes choices at lunch in response to healthy food strategy

By

Fewer students are purchasing the school lunch this year. Photo by Harper Stephens

Kelsey Blanton

Reporter

Whole foods, wheat bread, more fruit, more vegetables, healthier chips to choose from, are just a few things Blue Springs South has started to add into what they will and are serving in the lunch room.

About three years ago, Blue Springs South and just about the rest of the schools in the United States started serving healthier foods that contained less sodium and more fruits and vegetables options or the students. Some of the students enjoyed the changes made to the lunches, but most students did not, along with a few of the lunch ladies. For instance, lunch lady Lisa Weisgerber disagrees with how the new food is being served.

“I think we need to have a little bit more salt in the stuff so it has a little bit more flavor,” Weisgerber said.

Although there are a lot of benefits to switching to the healthier food options, many of the items being offered at the school lack the taste that students were used to, so naturally they are no longer as appealing to students as they once were. That has caused a decrease in the amount of students coming in to buy school lunches, and an increase in the amount of kids bringing their lunches Weisgerber said.

Principal Charlie Belt believes that converting over to the healthier food options has been a difficult adjustment for everyone.

“It’s hard for the students, its hard for us as a school, and because it is changing habits when you’ve had so many other habits in your diet growing up,” Belt said.

There are many different opinions towards the new healthier food options, some are good and some are bad. Whether or not schools continue with the federal guidelines that include healthier foods is not yet decided, even though Congress has been discussing it. With how it is going so far, there might be some changes in the near future.