Girls tennis features four returners

Patterson Fallis, Reporter

Brooke Griffle, left, and Olivia Ledford compete in a doubles match during a recent home tennis tournament. Photo by Justin Mott

The Blue Springs South girls tennis team is off to a hot start and is ready for another successful season.

The Lady Jags are off and running with the 2015 season. They have already competed in a tournament and placed third in the team competition. The team has 4 returning varsity players and an experienced squad this year.

Offseason workouts ran weekly throughout the summer and practice started in the first week of August.

The expectations for this year are set high.

“We really want to beat Grain Valley in districts and move onto sectionals,” Junior Tiffany Davenport said.

The girl’s tennis team has key matches in the upcoming weeks when they take on Grain Valley on September 18 and then the bragging rights match on September 22 against rival school Blue Springs.

Coach Estep is excited about this year’s team

“We have a great group of girls this year and the team chemistry is very high,” Estep said.

The doubles combo of Savannah Martin and Sierra Mann has started of the year with a victory and are hopeful for many more.

“We want to win every match,” Mann said.

Tiffany Davenport is looking to build off a strong showing last season.

“I want to win districts again this year, but I need to go into sectionals with a lot more confidence,” Davenport said.

The team is strong in many areas. Just like any team, they also have their weaknesses.

“The serving is spotty at times, and if we can make that consistent we will be a successful team,” Estep said.

The girls on the team share a close bond.

“We all like each other and are friends outside of tennis,” Davenport said.

The team played on Tuesday and won a close match, 5-4, against the Liberty Blue Jays. They have an upcoming tournament today in St. Joe at St. Joe Central High School.

With the four returning varsity players, the Lady Jags girl’s tennis team are hopeful for a strong showing this season.