Softball starts season with high expectations

Mahlyk Davis, Reporter

By Mahlyk Davis

Reporter

Early in the softball season, the Jaguars are striving to build on the foundation they laid last season. After losing in a tough sixteen-inning game against Colombia Hickman to end last season, the Jaguars set their expectations high coming into the 2015 season.

Coach Kristi Williams gave some insight as to how the season is going so far.

“We finished third in the Greater Kansas City tournament to start the year, and I’m looking forward to a good season,” Williams said.

The lady Jaguars are a scrappy group of girls composed of a good balance of both upper and lower classmen. Williams gave her take on the group of girls.

“This team has worked hard and fought to earn everything that has come to them. That’s what makes them successful,” Williams said.

In the first home game of the season, sophomore Madison Crosslin went 3-4 with a double. She also scored the game-winning run. Crosslin gave credit to her teammates for her performance and explained why it was a big game.

“Ray-Pec is a very good team, and with some of our key players out I knew that I had to do my best to help my team both defensively and at the plate,” Crosslin said.

Crosslin’s answer to what her favorite part about the team so far was simple and effective.

“I love how close the team has become. We even have team dinner every Sunday,” Crosslin said.

Another key player in the victory over Ray-Pec was junior shortstop Bailey Fowler. Going 2-4 with a double, Fowler drove in the game winning run in the bottom of the seventh. She also made a few good plays up the middle and boosted the team moral throughout. Fowler explained what she is looking forward to doing this season with a selfless and team-centered answer.

“This year I hope we can take the next step and win districts and more. I believe we have the talent and if we play the way we are capable I’m sure we can do it,” Fowler said.

She also commented on some things she likes about the team this year and some improvements they have made since last season.

“This year our emphasis has been playing as a team and so far we are doing a good job of it,” Fowler said.

The Jaguars will play at Blue Springs today at 4 p.m., and  at Lee’s Summit West on Monday at 4 p.m.