Dorsch named teacher of the year

Nathan Dorsch tutors students after school. Photo by Cassidy Herrman

Earlier this month, math and physics teacher Nathan Dorsch was named teacher of the year. He is now in the running for district teacher of the year. Teachers, students and administrators at South are part of the process selecting the building

teacher of the year.

“They ask colleagues to recommend teachers, so every year we recommend a colleague who we think is deserving of it. I believe that when seniors vote on who will walk at graduation, I think those numbers are also taken into consideration. Then, finally, I think a committee of former teacher of the year get together and discuss the top candidates and who’s deserving of the award. It’s a nice process, because when I was in Sedalia, the process only asked teachers. I think the fact that our building tries to find a balance between students and faculty and the administration and kinda bring it all together.” Dorsch said.

Dorsch’s beginning was both humble and familiar. He is a South graduate and had many of the teachers still teaching at South today, including Troy Harding, Ted Linke, and Janis Schuberth.

After graduating, he did not take the well-traveled path to where he is now. He originally wanted to be a doctor.

Just recently graduated from high school, and not completely sure what he was going to do, he decided to go to the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He took the track to pursue medicine and was on track to becoming a doctor, but found out it was not all it had cracked up to be. His chosen career didn’t have what he truly loved: math. So, he dropped out of medical school and decided to go to the University of Missouri for mathematics and eventually become a math teacher. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in secondary mathematics education. Since then, Dorsch has found his way back home to South and has taught here for the past five years.

Teaching seems to be what he was meant to do. His passion for it is almost unparalleled. His dedication to his students and the school goes above and beyond anything that is expected of him. Students can find him at the crack of dawn at 6:20 am every single morning and can get as much help as they need even after school until as late as 4 p.m. or 5 p.m..

He wants the best for all of his students regardless of how they feel about math or physics, or whether they’re talented or not at them.

“I always ask a lot from my students, but I also put in a lot. So when they seem me put in a lot they see that we are all in this together,” Dorsch said

His students understand that he puts in a tremendous effort and, because of that, they reciprocate it by trying as hard as they can. Senior Cassidy Herrman, one of his AP Physics students, sometimes struggles, but she always knows that Dorsch will be there for her.

“Mr. Dorsch is not just a great teacher, but an overall great person. He is always willing to put other people over himself, and believes in the ability of all of his students, no matter their backgrounds. I’ve gotten to his class at 6:30 in the morning and stayed after until 5 just to try and understand the material, and he is always willing to help me through it,” Herrman said

Dorsch doesn’t limit his activities at South to teaching. He’s currently the active sponsor for both a Ping-Pong Club, with a record number of ‘players,’ as well as Math Club. He is also heavily involved in several athletic events.

It’s not just the students who love him, it’s also the teachers. His colleagues see him as someone who is there for them as well as the students.

Math department colleague Monte Davis said Dorsch is dedicated to helping students

“Mr. Dorsch makes time for his students before school, after school, and during his lunch period. He doesn’t give time for accolades. He does it because he truly cares about his students. I’m proud to call him my colleague,” he said.

It’s not difficult to understand what Dorsch enjoys most about teaching.

“It’s the students. Something I was least prepared for. I knew when I went into teaching that’d I’d be building the curriculum, or putting in time before or after school, and putting in time on the weekends and over the summer. I knew all those expectations; I knew that I was enough of a go-getter that I would hold myself to high standards and so I knew that I was investing in a career and an education, I knew all that. But I don’t think I was ready for building relationships the way that I was and in the past five years I have had a lot of students that have really made a big impact on my life. And that’s something that’s a really cool experience from teaching. I don’t think you’re really ready for it until you’re there. But, I’ve had a lot of students that have definitely made my life more interesting and more exciting. I’ve got to see them rise to some highs and help them through some lows. I think that making some connection and definitely improving the lives of students have been the coolest thing thing from teaching for me,” Dorsch said.