Benches removed in student section of stadium bleachers

The South student section of the bleachers currently has no benches. The benches were removed for safety, but they are scheduled to be replaced in the spring. Photo by Lauren Collins

By Kelsey Blanton

Assistant Editorials Editor

Blue Springs South administration decided it was time to remove the benches in the student section.

After the 2015-2016 season of football, which included many students jumping and falling off the nearly broken bleachers, the decision was made to remove them.

The benches were removed before the school year had even started, a decision made by central office and the superintendent.

Tim Michael, South activities director, provided  the reasoning behind the change.

“The benches were getting unsafe, breaking down and they decided that it would be best to take them off during the football season until the new order came in over the spring,” Michael said.

The student body of South seems to have mixed opinions about them being removed.

Senior Super Fan Pierce Niemeyer shared his view on the matter.

“The benches being removed doesn’t really affect me anymore, but I do think it is a lot safer since people won’t be falling off of them so much,” Niemeyer said.

Senior Camryn Gregston is ready for the bleachers to make a comeback.

“With the benches being gone it’s hard for me to see over the Super Fans to watch the game since the senior girls stand behind them,” Gregston said.

Junior Derrian Ford believes the benches being removed is a good thing.

“Since the benches are gone there is a lot more space for more people to fit in the student section, and no one falls off the bleachers when we do a chant anymore,” Ford said.

Even though there are mixed opinions on the removal of the benches, they will be making a comeback in the spring.