Modern Language Fair celebrates cultures

Senior Gehret Ginther and Kody Preud’homme play a classic German song during the Modern Language Fair. Photo by Autumn Campbell.

Amaya Hernandez, Reporter

This year’s Modern Language Fair was filled with foreign food, performances, pictures, and cultural presentations.

The Modern Language Fair is led by all of the foreign language teachers who  work together to make the fair possible. According to a couple of the foreign language teachers, Spanish teacher Todd Findley and French teacher Dawn Walton, the fair is meant for a fun time celebrating all the diverse languages and cultures that South has to offer to teach and to show all the information students have learned while being enrolled in a foreign language class, and also to persuade other students to be involved in a foreign language. If they are already in a foreign language, the fair is also meant to encourage them to continue their foreign language career further throughout their lives.

Findley’s favorite part is watching people interact throughout the fair, whether it is friends and family having a fun time together or watching the performers play out their skits.

In preparation for the fair, teachers and students have been designing projects in the languages being taught. Some people have been preparing since the beginning of second semester with posters, practicing skits, dances, instrument performances, and poems being sited at the event. They even have free food at the Modern Language Fair, including: empanadas, churros, spanish cookies, macaroons, German cake and sausage.

Senior Libby Wickham, a French student who has helped prepare for the fair really enjoys attending the fair because of the skits they do. She also suggests that more people should attend the fair because it is fun and there is good food there.

“Just do it, eat all the food,” Wickham said.

Walton’s favorite part of the fair is also the food. She said that the French students have spent a lot of hours preparing their food for their pastry station from the french department.

This year the fair contained a variety of entertainment including making French, Spanish or German Valentine’s Day cards, dressing up in costume for pictures, making flowers from tissue paper, performances in the gym and much more. You can also learn a lot of information about other countries and the events and cultures like, running of the bulls in Spain and “La Tomatina” festival, by reading the poster boards in the center of the cafeteria.

This event is something that many people enjoy attending because of the fun social environment and all the activities and food you can do and have.