Southside Steppers catch attention

The Southside Steppers perform at last weeks United Way talent show. Photo by Debbie Nichols

The Southside Steppers perform at last week’s United Way talent show. Photo by Debbie Nichols

Tavarus Pennington, Editorials Editor

The Southside Steppers capture the attention of the whole of the South community at assemblies and halftimes and are gearing up for yet another season of performing.

South’s step team has an uncanny ability to incorporate urban dance influences into uniform and practiced routines. It is an energetic atmosphere that rubs off on the audience.

There is an inherent excitement associated to hearing one’s favorite songs coupled with modern dancing. The Southside Steppers have a knack for entertaining consistently at pep rallies and halftime at basketball games.

Southside Stepper coach Shelli Ray realizes the teams effect but wants to make sure this team does not get lazy.

“The biggest tool has been to keep with the tradition,” Ray said. “it has become something that people enjoy watching but you can’t just assume that people are always going to love it.”.

Over the years, the Southside Steppers have coalesced into a successful program albeit not being a team that commonly competes. All there is to reassure the Steppers of a good performance is the cheers from the crowd, and those cheers are raucous. Senior Southside Stepper and four-year team member Simone Gregory is excited for the upcoming season.

“I feel great, it’s my senior year and I’ve done it all four years so I’m really amped. I have a feeling its going to be a really good year,” Gregory said.

Gregory also has high hopes for herself this season.

“I want to dance my best this season,” Gregory said.

Many are hopeful that Gregory and the Southside Steppers can dance their best this season because South students are ready to see the Southside Steppers to perform again.

Senior Caleb O’Donnell believes everyone is excited watching the Southside Steppers.

“Everyone loves them,” O’Donnell said. “I’ve never met someone that doesn’t like the Southside Steppers.”

The presence of the step team provides a different perspective on dance for the school. The consolidated interest to urban popular culture that the step team brings is something that the dance team does not try to appeal to.

The status quo has proved that this appeal to urban influences is what garners the attention of students in this day and age. Whether “the milly rock” or “the whip” or “the drop” or “the folks” appeals particularly to any one person, the Southside Steppers will do it. This relatability to students is why the step team garners so much attention.

“I think that it’s something that’s different, and it’s obviously something that’s evolved,” Ray said

O’Donnell agrees that the Southside Steppers’ style is something not matched by anybody.

“They’re different than usual dance or cheer teams and they get people excited no matter the event,” O’Donnell said.

The Southside Steppers fully wish to keep their tradition going and live the legacy that they’ve built.

“We need to continue to have variety and stuff that the audience is going to enjoy,” Ray said.

Surely, students of South hope to see many more successful Southside Stepper dances and wish to enjoy themselves while doing it. That, after all, is the major goal of any Southside Stepper dance.

The Southside Steppers perform at last week's United Way talent show. Photo by Debbie Nichols