Student Senate officers elected

By Olivia Decker

Reporter

With this school year coming to a close, the Student Senate Officers for the 2015-2016 school year have been announced; the Senate President is Olivia Bahr; the vice president is Kadreona Shane; the treasurer is August Miller; the secretary is Rachel Keeling; and the historian is Kiley Weir.

Junior Olivia Bahr has been elected Student Senate President by her fellow classmates; as president, Bahr will lead Senate on all of their fundraisers and activities.

Kadreona Shane was elected vice president. Shane says that as vice president, she will be supporting and working together with Bahr to make decisions on behalf of Senate, and she hopes the Senate will help unite the people of Blue Springs South.

“I’m most excited to get to know my Senate family, and since we have a whole new group, I just can’t wait to get to know each and every one of them, and I’m also excited to see what kind of things South will do next year,” Shane said.

Being elected as treasurer means that August Miller will be dealing with the financial aspects of the fundraisers that Student Senate sponsors. According to Miller, Senate is planning to continue helping the community as much as they can.

“We have a lot of opportunities with different resources; we try to do fundraisers and we help out as much as we can. We have a lot of school-funded things, and we’re starting to do stuff outside of school like volunteering. We went down to City Union Mission this year. We’ll definitely do that again, and we’re going to find new ways to help,” Miller said.

As Senate Secretary, Rachel Keeling says that her job will be to ensure everything within Senate runs smoothly so they can continue to impact the community in a positive way.

“We just really want to keep impacting peoples’ lives, not only here at South, but within the community,” Keeling said. “It’s just a really cool opportunity to spend an hour of your day being able to change someone’s life.”

According to Keeling, Senate hopes to take projects started during this school year and improve them for next year.

“There were a couple of new projects started this year that we really want to continue on for the next few years and just keep expanding our impact on those around us,” Keeling said.

Kiley Weir was elected historian, meaning that over the next year she will be responsible for photographing all of Senate’s fundraisers and creating a scrapbook for Senate members at the end of the year. Weir says that she is excited about being in a leadership position and bonding with new members.

“I really wanted to have a leadership role in the school, and I saw the things that Senate did, and I wanted to be a part of it. I’m most excited to bond with the new Senate members who are going to be juniors and just show them how to be a leader just like the seniors this year did for me,” Weir said.

Along with the officers, the 2015-2016 Student Senate will be comprised of the juniors and seniors who were elected by their peers. A complete list of the Senate members is located outside of Mrs. Bubalo’s room.