French teacher finds the best fit for herself in instruction

Kelsey Haile

Kelsey Haile

By Olivia Svoboda

Editor-in-Chief

Returning alumna Kelsey Haile is a new French teacher at Blue Springs South.

“I went to high school here at Blue Springs South; graduated in 2014. I graduated from UMKC, but my first year [was at] Missouri S&T,” Haile said.

Haile wanted to come back to South because she thinks it’s a great school.

“I had a great time when I went through here doing band and other various activities. I think Blue Springs is the best district in Missouri,” she said.

Before becoming a teacher, Haile was an accountant. She decided to go into teaching because she enjoys working with students.

“I have been able to have opportunities to be with students before I started teaching when I was doing other jobs,” she said.

Haile chose French because she finds the language fun, and she wants to show her students the opportunities a foreign language can bring them.

“I lived in France for four months, and it was the best time that I had in college. I want to open students’ eyes to that possibility, that they could do that too,” she said.

Students in French will be able to learn even more of the language after school as well.

“We are starting a French club. It’s meeting the second Wednesday of the month right now,” Haile said.

Additionally, students will have the opportunity to go to France next summer. Haile said she would like to make that trip happen every other year, if possible.

Haile is still getting used to being a teacher and the challenges that come with it. Despite the stress, she has found her silver linings.

“I love those little moments where a student’s like, ‘Oh my gosh, this makes sense now.’ I’ve already had some of those, but I love when that happens. I’m looking forward to more of those,” she said.