Cheer wins first state title

The cheer team poses with their first place trophy. This was the cheer teams first ever first place finish after back-to-back second place finishes. Submitted photo

The cheer team poses with their first place trophy. This was the cheer team’s first ever first place finish after back-to-back second place finishes. Submitted photo

Trevor Hahn, Reporter

For the first time in school history, the Jags have a state champion cheerleading team.

This hardware was brought back to the school after the team won the Superlarge division on November 5 at the University of Missouri-Columbia.  Senior Haleigh Wills talked about what it feels like to be a state champion.

“The feeling is indescribable; it feels great to know that all of our hard work at practices have finally paid off,” Wills said.

Sonya Gough, Cheer head coach, explained exactly what the competition looks like competing for a state title, and what it meant to her to be the coach to bring the first title back to the school.

“State competition consists of a three minute routine, (two minutes of music and one minute of cheer),” Gough said. “The judges evaluate stunts, tumbling, pyramids, basket tosses, motion technique, dance, routine, creativity and choreography.”

“The feeling is pretty surreal,” Gough said. “I am elated the girls get to experience the recognition for all of their hard work, and I am honored to be along for their ride! This is a pretty exceptional group of girls; they are a perfect combination of talent and drive. I am so happy they received the first state title for South Cheer.”

Preparation for this state competition is a long, six-month process that involves a grind. Senior Megan Nordike talked a little about what the group did to prepare.

“I think instead of focusing on winning the whole time this year, we focused more on making sure we did everything clean and made sure that we were able to hit everything perfect to put our best routine out there on the mat,” Nordike said.

Gough also explained her point of view on what this year’s team did to accomplish something that had not yet been accomplished at South.

“This year’s team consistently put the goal of winning the state title first. They knew the dedication and hard work that would be necessary, and they stayed committed for the full six months,” Gough said.

This goal of winning state was finally achieved after finishing second in State the past two years. Nordike talked about what helped this team make the jump.

“This year’s team talent is the best I have endured in my four years here,” Nordike said. “We set our goal as winning state, and we have stuck to that goal this entire year. There is no group of girls I would rather end my high school career with.”

The cheer team poses with their first place trophy. This was the cheer team's first ever first place finish after back-to-back second place finishes. Submitted photo