Girls soccer team celebrates offseason commits

Donald Kelly, Entertainment Editor

By Donald Kelly

Entertainment Editor

The girls soccer team plans to improve from their district championship lost versus Lee’s Summit North.

The team has a lot of good returning players. Juniors Mallory Kroencke, Nina Stine, and Megan Swanson, along with strong seniors including Mollie Maupin, Peri Rainey, and Kayla Ellis.

The offseason for girl’s soccer has been full of hard work and dedication, but was also full of players committing.

Kroencke is going to the University of Central Missouri. She will play forward for the Mules in 2018. She committed in January this past offseason.

Swanson committed to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. She is going to be a goalie for the Trojans. She was looking at bigger Division 1 schools during the offseason, but she explains why UALR is the right fit for her.

“I enjoyed the environment of the campus and the coaches. I just really saw myself getting along with the girls that are already on the team,” Swason said.

Sophomore Taylor Gardner committed to Kansas State. She plays defender and has had to show herself worthy to be able to commit to a school as a sophomore. Gardner explains how she plans expand on her skills.

“There is always room to improve so I have to work hard and get on the field and improve on my mechanics,” Gardner said.

Last but not least, Nina Stine committed to UMKC. She will play forward for the Kangaroos. Despite all of these offseason signings there was some set backs this season. Molly Voigt has had a season ending injury.  Varsity coach Todd Findley explains them having to deal with some of the early season injuries.

“I believe in the skill of our girls and how we play so I think the injuries won’t really make a difference because our team is deep,” Findley said.

Findley also has faith about building on the team from last year and the principle that they had so they can improve.

“We were really good last year on our defense and our goal keeping. I think we still have a pretty good defensive team, although all we need to do is tighten up some of the things on the pitch and on our attack then we will become more of an all around team. I just hope to be ready by conference play,” Findley said.

The Jags topped Fort Osage 5-0 on Tuesday night. They will open up their home season on Monday, March 28 against Lee’s Summit at 6:30 p.m.